The synagogue was built in 1911 to designs by Leopold Baumhorn, well-known architect in Austro-Hungary. Nitra Synagogue has a central square ground plan. A double-wing door richly decorated with ironwork and wrought handle forms the main entrance. It is on the southern facade. Behind the main entrance, there is a commemorative plaque with the names of the founders, sponsors who provided finances to build the synagogue. The interior synagogue decorations are modest. Neither paintings, statues nor other Godly images can be found there. The facade is decorated and defined by oriental elements, laminating; the interior is in white. Initial owners of the synagogue were the Jewish Community in Nitra Town. Since 1982, Nitra District National Committee, and in 1991 complying with the law on ownership it became the property of the Town of Nitra. In 2003, the building was opened to the public offering valuable premises to organize cultural and public events. Exhibitions, such as displays of the Museum of the Jewish Culture of the Slovak National Museum in Bratislava under the title Destiny of the Slovak Jews, and a permanent display of paintings of the significant Israeli artist Shraga Wiel, a native and an honorary citizen of the Nitra Town, have found their place here.
Pri synagóge 3
Phone: +421 (0)37 652 53 20
Tue: 13.00 – 18.00, Wed, Thu: 9.00 – 12.00, 13.00 – 18.00, Sat, Sun: 13.00 – 18.00 h